April 19, 2012

Beauty and Strength

A few weeks ago someone I know was diagnosed with breast cancer. I felt so sad to hear the news but then I got mad and wanted to fight - yes, fight cancer in general. Me and it's big ugly head in the boxing ring - gloves off!  I felt like I wanted to create something for her to remind her how strong she is and that she will beat this. 

After some Google searching about symbols of strength I ran across the Protea flower.  Beauty, right?  I read that the protea flower is a symbol of strength because it's so resilient.  If there is a fire and the flowers and stalks are burned, the roots survive and grow back after a fire.  Wow, could there be a better symbol for someone battling cancer?

Protea are also one of the oldest flowers, dating back to over 300 million years!  They also have over 1400 types of protea and change shape several times over it's growth.  It starts out looking like an artichoke. opens into a cup shape and them blossoms into a lotus looking flower.  I just love everything about it.  And with so many variations I have a feeling I will be visiting this inspiration over and over again.

9 comments:

Marian Hertzog said...

Wow... I love the story behind these beads... I am with you in the fight! Too many are taken by cancer and suffer too much!

Love the beads too! Awesome!

Roberta Warshaw said...

I love these beads. They are a breath of fresh air from the pink ribbon. They seem much more meaningful.

Nice work.

swanwalk said...

Thoughts and prayers for your friend. Lovely beads.

Lois Moon said...

A beautiful bead and a beautiful story behind the flower.

Regina said...

Thinking of your friend and you. What a beautiful bead!

Bonnie Cuddihy said...

In Ikebana, we often use the Protea as a featured flower. I love its texture, color and sense of presence. Your bead captures its beauty.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Those colors together are fabulous...love love love.

Anthony said...

I love those beads. It seems like they're real.

Coffeefreek53 said...

Lovely beads. All my best to your friend. I am a 19 yr. breast cancer survivor.