June 26, 2009

Bead Cruise Design Contest Winners

Every year on the Bead Cruise each student receives a gift bag from our incredible sponsors. Talk about a pirates' treasure! In the past they have been filled with art beads, beads, findings, product samples and much more. This year I decided to get a little creative and the Bead Cruise sponsored a design contest using 2 or more items our gift bags into a jewelry creation. On the last night of the cruise we displayed the winners and everyone voted for their favorites. Here are the winners:
Show favorite from Sherry Bercaw. Sherry used a pendant from Off Center Productions and seed beads from Foxden. I wish I had a better photo, but lighting on the cruise at night is impossible. Sherry was the show favorite and won first prize!

Royelle Gidding, who is a very talented instructor from the Houston area, created this stunning lariat. I think every mouth dropped when they saw this one. She did this in a week, while on a cruise. I can get over that! She won runner-up in the Intense Beading category. She used turquoise cubes from Rings & Things and Vintaj brass charms that were included in the gift bags.

Our next runner-up in the Simple & Sweet category is from Kathy Annane. Kathy used another pendant from Off Center Productions, those charms from Vintaj, tiger eye cubes from Rings & Things, a lampwork bead from Sue Beads and a brass filigree from Beadaholique. There may be more beads from the gift bag snuck in there but those are the ones I can identify.

And here are the winners sporting their creations: Kathy, Royelle and Sherry. Great job everyone! I will upload the other entries in the Bead Cruise flickr group later next week. Again, me+camera+cruise ship=bad photos! Sorry about that.
Bead Cruise registration opens tomorrow, don't you want to come play with us next year?

4 comments:

SueBeads said...

They are all great (thanks for mention about my beads!) but I just love those beaded beads on the first one!

Joan Tucker said...

Wow, I am thrilled our porcelain was used by Bead Cruise folks and two won... I love the idea of the Cruise and have been happy to donate to the swag .
Thanks for posting, Joan Tucker
Off Center Productions

TesoriTrovati said...

So incredible! And intense! I can not believe that second one was done in a week on a cruise ship! What fun you must have all had. What fun you will have again! Great bounty from the treasure chests. Enjoy the day! Erin

Unknown said...

That lariat is really pretty.