March 8, 2007

Advice for Artists


Here is a sneak peek at the samples I made for an upcoming event. Gee, what could that be? But no color for you - I have to save some surprises for my Bead Cruise folks.

Bead-arts.com has featured me on their blog today:

BA: What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?
HP: I would say discover your own visual language. Find what images and symbols inspire you and let that be the starting point of your own creative process. Never copy, learn from others and translate basic techniques into something new. Also experiment, try new techniques or other mediums, you’ll grow as an artist. Always be willing to take risks and follow your own path.

Read the rest of the interview here.

Trivia: Why is my business named Humblebeads? A free bead for the first person that posts the answer in my comments section!

9 comments:

Heather Powers said...

Yes, a free bead to the first person that posts the answer here. I'll email you for your address and send you one of the beads pictured above!

(No Mom, you can't play along.)

Heather Powers said...

hint: go read that interview!

Robin said...

Well, I guessed it before I read the interview... I could see that you work in polymer clay, and guessed that you think it is a humble medium. Maybe so, but not more humble than seed beads, a tube of paint, paste, little scraps of fabric or paper... The only medium I can think of that isn't very humble is gold used by jewelers.

Thanks for visiting my blog... I'm enjoying yours!

Beverly Herman said...

What the heck? I can't play along???
Love Mom

Heather Powers said...

Robin takes the bead!
sorry mom, you'll just have to blackmail me with horrible photos from my childhood.

Beverly Herman said...

Victory is mine "Quote from Evangiline" VICTORY IS MINE!!!
I have the one with your purple hair!

Robin said...

Yippeee, I won the bead!!!! I tried to email you with the link on your blog, but it didn't work ("page expired"). You can email me privately at:
robin[at]robinatkins[dot]com
Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm a bit late here, but I just wanted to say how I enjoyed the interview. What struck me was that photo. I just made a similar version of it, as seen in the mag, (which one was it again?) two nights ago. Here's a link to my photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/bwheather/clayswirlies039.jpg

Anonymous said...

Mmm, it didn't all show for some reason. Try this instead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/bwheather/clayswirlies039.jpg

Great blog, too. ;-)